Media Statement - 03 September 2010
Human Settlements Minister Tokyo Sexwale has appointed a panel of advisors to ensure extra intellectual capacity in delivering on his ministry’s mandate.
The panel consists of five part-time members with knowledge of construction, architecture, finance, the homeless and environmental planning.
“This department’s mandate is more than just building houses – it is about providing homes, in areas where large industries can be established to afford people jobs and sustainable livelihood,” said Minister Sexwale. “We therefore need these experts to advise us on how best to achieve this.’ The advisors are:
- Bridgette Gasa – Member of the National Planning Commission and President of Africa Chartered Institute of Building
- Mokena Makeka - a member of the World Economic Forum’s Global Council for Design and Chairman of Cape Africa Platform (Architect & Planning Industry)
- Patrick Magebhula – chairman of the Informal Settlement Network and member of PHP Joint Working Group
- Mosa Molapo – lecturer at University of KwaZulu-Natal School of architect, planning and housing
- Dr Johan Botha – Senior economist for Standard Bank and economic advisor to government