Media Statement - 30 October 2012
The Provincial Disaster Management Centre has received preliminary reports on incidents of rain and thunderstorm around the province on the morning of 31 October 2012.
Three districts are affected and they are:
- 1 incident at Sekonye village, windstorm and flooding
- 1 incident at Ga-Mashashane village where multiple houses suffered windstorm and flooding
Capricorn District Disaster Management Response:
- Capricorn Disaster Management went out to conduct an assessment of damage and a report will be forwarded to PDMC soon as they are done.
- 34 villages at Makhado affected
- 20 villages at Thulamela affected and 2 people were injured with house bricks at Kubwi/ Tshiseluselu village
Vhembe District Disaster Management Response:
- Assessment is still going on at Mutale and Musina
- No reports from local Municipalities
- 1 incident at N’wamitwa windstorm and flooding
- 1 incident at Modjadjiskloof windstorm and flooding
Mopani Disaster Management Response:
- Mopani Disaster Management has sent sms to all local municipalities to forward reports to the district and the district will inform the PDMC as soon as the information is made available. The district is busy with her local municipalities in conducting an extent to damage and the report will be forwarded.
- No reports from the local municipalities
During the coming summer period, parts of Limpopo will likely experience above average rains and storms. The MEC for CoGHSTA, Mr. Clifford Motsepe, as the political head of the Provincial Disaster Management Centre, calls upon all the people of Limpopo, to be vigilant and take extra caution. The Provincial Disaster Management Centre is ready to handle any eventuality.
"Disaster Management is everybody’s business, make it yours”.
Members of the public should report the incident to their district offices or provincial disaster management centre on the toll free number 0800 222 111.
Issued by the Department of CoGHSTA (Winner of The 2012 Southern African Institute of the Government Auditors, 2011 Premier’s Service Excellence Award for the Best Department in Limpopo).
For more information please contact
Ms. Dieketseng Diale
Cell: 083 652 5276.
Tel: 015 284 5582